Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blog Post #9

Post-it note that says Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

What I've Learned This Year

I think this post is absolutely amazing. I'm glad to see that Mr. McClung learned these things and within his first year of teaching too.

While I understand that everyone in the world hopes to have everything perfect, it's really not going to happen. It's impossible. And the sooner you realize that, the better off you are. You won't stress yourself more than you need to. Besides, going with he flow of things is not only easier, but it tends to be a little more interesting and not quite so boring.

I also think that teachers need to really listen to their students. I've had so many classes where teachers don't want to hear what you have to say. They don't want to listen to anything unless you're answering a question or asking one, sometimes not even then. Too many of them don't allow students to challenge them (respectfully) and explore with their words. Sometimes this can make a teacher scary and unapproachable.

As for communicating, do it! Communicate in personal relationships like marriages and friendships, but also communicate in professional relationships. There are going to be times when you're going to need help and who better to help you than your co-workers?

I think a lot of the points Mr. McClung made are common sense, or ought to be anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the post by Mr. McClung is amazing. It is great that McClung learned so many great positive techniques his first year. I know that everything will not be perfect, but I would not say that it's impossible. I think that as future teachers if we teach from our heart things will flow easier. I do agree that teachers should listen to their students. I believe that when teachers listen to their student the relationship between the teachers and students will flourish which benefits everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved Mr. McClung's post, and learned a lot from it. As new teachers, we need to be ready to accept that we do not know it all, and constantly learn from mistakes we make.
    Perfection is overrated in my opinion. If everything was perfect, then there would be no need to have any sort of goals, because well, the end result would not need fixing! So, I agree that perfection just is not realistic.
    Obviously students are the reason that we are teaching, so we SHOULD listen to them! It only makes sense!
    I agree, his points are basic common sense. Hard lessons to learn - maybe - but in the end I think you will be slapping yourself on the forehead for making them. For example, when someone is being rude to a co-worker: it happens, but a sense of guilt arrives when it is over because you realize that it was due to poor communication skills. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "While I understand that everyone in the world hopes to have everything perfect" Well, not me. I know that I am not perfect and never will be. Don't be disappointed when you find out that that applies to you as well.

    Mr. McClung knows that he is not perfect but he is always trying to improve. Check out his After Year 2 Reflection. And, as you can see from the readings this week, Mr. McClung is even a better teacher in Year 3.

    ReplyDelete